Heading into the colder months of fall and winter—during a pandemic—presents new challenges for Arkansas businesses. The University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS) wants to help. UAMS is bringing experts from across the country for a three-day webinar event on the role of proper ventilation in protecting your employees, customers and businesses.
“Latest research on COVID-19 to inform on winterizing our buildings”
When: November 9 – 10:30 a.m. to 1:15 p.m.
Who: Luke Leung, PE, LEED Fellow, Skidmore, Owings, & Merrill LLP in Chicago
- What are the positions of the CDC, ASHRAE and WHO on airborne transmission of COVID-19?
- What evidence is there the virus can be found in ductwork and HVAC systems?
- Why is the environment in winter more concerning than in summer?
- How do we prepare our buildings to minimize infection risk this winter?
“Airborne transmission of SARS-CoV-2: Mitigation strategies for buildings”
When: November 10 – 10:30 a.m. to 1:15 p.m.
Who: Elliott Gall, Ph.D., Department of Mechanical and Materials Engineering, Portland State University
- Aerosols 101: What size particles are generated by people and how long can they remain in air?
- How are particles removed from an indoor environment and what strategies exist for reducing particle exposures?
- Overview of indoor air mitigation strategies: reduced occupancy + distancing, face coverings, ventilation, air-cleaning.
- Approaches and tools for estimating risk in an indoor space.
- Emergent air-cleaning technologies.
“Developing emotional resilience: A new tool for workplace safety and health”
When: November 12 – 10:30 a.m. to 1:15 p.m.
Who: Cynthia Lewis, Principal, Creative Safety Solution; Director, Gulf Coast Safety Institute
- Recognize signs and symptoms of work-related stress in yourself and others.
- Use tools to increase readiness in yourself and others.
- Use communication strategies to reduce anxiety in tough conversations — wearing a face mask, social distancing, frequent hand washing, etc.
“The 2020 pandemic has challenged how we look at everything, including our activities of daily life in the home and in the workplace,” said Curtis Barnett, president and CEO of Arkansas Blue Cross and Blue Shield. “Arkansas Blue Cross is pleased to sponsor this three-part COVID-19 symposium during which experts will provide businesses, schools, agencies and other organizations with practical tips on how adjustments to ventilation can help prevent the spread of COVID.”
We hope you’ll join the webinar series—sponsored by Arkansas Blue Cross, the Arkansas Chamber of Commerce and UAMS—and learn more about keeping your doors open and your employees and customers safe throughout the winter months.